Ways to Say “Yes” in 2014
Have you made your New Year’s Resolutions yet? Just browsing around, I’m seeing a common theme in New Year’s Resolutions. Many are wanting to lose weight. Spend less money. Eat less sweets. Go on a detox. Drink less coffee.
It kinda feels like everywhere, people want to say “no” to themselves. While some of these resolutions may have a positive motive behind them (after all, don’t we all set resolutions with the hopes of becoming a better person?), the constant naysaying can make the goal-setter feel trapped, restricted, or as though he/she is paying a penance for past misgivings. This is a large contributor to why many resolutions fail.
So this year, why not make a resolution to say “yes” to yourself more often? Saying yes can free yourself from all the rules, the restrictions, and the labeling of certain foods or actions as “bad”. This cognitive shift can be key to the success of your goals. Giving yourself permission to do more things, give yourself more options, and love yourself through the process is a wonderful, healthy practice. You can incorporate saying “yes” into a healthy diet and lifestyle in many ways. Here are a few great places to start:
Start saying YES:
- To cooking more meals from scratch. You don’t have to cook everything at home all of the time, but if you learn a few simple meals, you can give yourself the gift of healthy food, a fatter wallet, and it’s a great way to spend time with your family.
- To more fruits and vegetables. Go exploring, and find new, fun ways to enjoy fruits and vegetables in meals throughout the day. Don’t stress over hitting a certain number per day. Keep it simple, and look for a new fruit or vegetable whenever possible, and come up with delicious new ways to enjoy and celebrate them. The Balanced Platter has many fruit and vegetable recipes to try. Try snacks like Sweet Potato & Kale Balls, Cheesy Cauliflower Popcorn, and Zucchini Fritters, or smoothies like Berry Lemonade Smoothie, Healthy Spiced Apricot Shake, and “Sneaky Green” Healthy Chocolate Shake.
- To more active playing. Play a recreational sport. Take a dance class. Join some friends for a weekend bike ride. Take a walk with your kids in the park, or even just wrestle around with them. Focusing on having fun, rather than only setting aside designated “exercises”, keeps your mind and body happy.
- To more sleep and rest time. Many of us have a tendency to book our entire days full of activities, and we don’t get enough time to wind down and rejuvenate. Make this year the year you include more rest and relaxation. Give yourself permission to just chill.
- To right now. Regret lies in the past, and worry lives in the future. Right now in the moment, is where we can truly live and enjoy our lives. Say “yes” to making our moments count in the right here and now.
How will you say “yes” in 2014?
Alta is the founder of the gluten-free, dairy-free blog, Tasty Eats At Home. Even without gluten and dairy, Alta can show you that meals can be simple and healthy, and treats such as cake, bread, and cookies can be mouth-watering! Her goal is to share with you delicious, gluten-free, dairy-free food that can bring your heart joy and nourish your body, one recipe at a time.
Read all of Alta’s posts here.