Looking for a quick way to bring some fresh, summertime flavor to your meal? Why not try a fruit-based salsa? In a matter of 10 minutes, you can create something that will elevate just about any meal from boring to sitting-out-on-the-patio, soaking-up-the-sun delicious.
I love all sorts of fruit salsas, from the typical pineapple salsa, to something a bit more unique, such as peach salsa or even cantaloupe. Fruit salsas are delicious on grilled chicken, fish, or served with chips. (You could even make these homemade corn-free tortilla chips!)
This salsa, made with strawberries, is my latest obsession. I want to eat it on everything: grilled shrimp, on chicken tacos, or even in an avocado half. And why not? It offers a healthy dose of antioxidants and vitamins, as well as a great sweet-spicy-crunchy aspect to the meal. Win-win, if you ask me!
So once you’ve made all the shortcakes and crisps you can handle with strawberries (Who am I kidding? Is there such a thing?), bring those strawberries out of the dessert arena and into your main course!
Serves 2 – 4
- 8 ounces diced strawberries
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (for a milder salsa, use 1/2 jalapeno)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped leeks (can use green onions)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced strawberries, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, leeks, and lime. Season with salt to taste.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Enjoy with chips or as a topping on tacos, shrimp, or whatever you choose.
What kinds of fruit salsa do you enjoy?
Alta is the founder of the gluten-free, dairy-free blog, Tasty Eats At Home. Even without gluten and dairy, Alta can show you that meals can be simple and healthy, and treats such as cake, bread, and cookies can be mouth-watering! Her goal is to share with you delicious, gluten-free, dairy-free food that can bring your heart joy and nourish your body, one recipe at a time.
Read all of Alta’s posts here.