Southwest Cauliflower-Rice Salad
A few months ago, I was inspired by a recipe from Jamie Oliver’s 15 Minute Meals. Have you seen that show? I LOVE it! Especially because of the theme song; Buffalo Stance by Neneh Cherry. It totally takes me back to my childhood. Have I dated myself? Haha. It was and is a wicked song!
Anyway, Jamie made a southwest rice salad that looked so good, that I decided to switch it up with ingredients I could eat.
I can’t tell you how many times I have made this now. My kids adore it! I packed it in their school lunches one day and my daughter came home and said, “Thanks Mommy for the surprise in my lunch!” I was thinking “What surprise?” I know I didn’t make any homemade cookies or muffins…and she meant this salad!
It has all the flavors of chili or tacos, which is always a hit with kids…or at least my kids.
This is the perfect addition to any BBQ or picnic. It is one of those salads that tastes better the longer it sits dressed.
I used Adzuki beans instead of the more traditional black beans, because I find the tiny little Adzukis much easier to digest.
To make this salad paleo-friendly, remove the beans. To make it even more paleo-friendly, remove the corn. To make it 21 Day Sugar Detox Friendly, remove the tomato. To make it….Just Kidding! (I could go on and on!) It is a very versatile salad that can be tweaked to meet any dietary needs.
Check out these other summer salad options:
- Blueberry Quinoa Salad
- Cauliflower Tabouli
- Cucumber Chickpea Salad
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn Salad
Southwest Cauliflower-Rice Salad
- 1 cup of frozen organic corn
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup of soaked/cooked Adzuki beans (or canned)
- 1/3 cup of thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup of diced colorful bell peppers
- 1 tomato diced
- sliced avocado for topping (optional)
- cilantro for garnish
- juice of 2 small limes
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a small pot, cover the corn with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer for about 5 minutes or until just tender. Remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Wash and break apart your cauliflower. Using the shredding attachment to your food processor, shred the whole head of cauliflower and place it in a large bowl. Set it aside.
- Add the onion, peppers, corn, tomato, and beans to the shredded cauliflower. Toss to combine.
- In a small blender (I used my Magic Bullet), add all the the dressing ingredients and blend to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to distribute thoroughly over all of the ingredients. Store covered in the fridge until serving. Garnish with more cilantro and the optional avocado.
Danielle Rouse is the creative energy behind the allergy friendly recipe blog, Fresh4Five | Real Food, Fresh Ideas. This mother of three has a passion for nutrition and cooking with fresh and wholesome ingredients. Danielle has become and expert at developing recipes to meet the complex dietary needs of her family. She is currently studying to become a Registered Holistic Nutritionist at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition. Fresh4Five hosts an array of family friendly recipes that are paleo-friendly and free of gluten, dairy, soy, and nuts.
Read all of Danielle’s posts here.