Savory Pumpkin Almond Twists
A perfect summer meal to me is a giant salad with garden-fresh produce and homemade dressing. But in the cooler months, nothing could be further from the truth! While I’ll happily eat salad year round, a bowl of soup or stew is the epitome of comfort on chilly days. What’s even better than soup? The stuff you dunk in it, of course.
My love for dippers sent me to the kitchen a few weeks ago to create these Savory Pumpkin Almond Twists, a delightful twist on bread sticks that pair perfectly with a warm pot of broth and veggies.
We all have our “desert island” foods—the foods we can’t live without—and one of mine happens to be almonds. That’s why I love working with almond flour every chance I get. Not only is it a low-glycemic and grain-free choice, but it also lends delicious buttery flavor to baked goods that would otherwise be lacking.
These twists look super fancy, but they’re actually very easy to form. The dough is forgiving. You can easily pinch cracks or breaks back together as you form the twists. I am not by any means a perfect baker, which is why I like working with doughs that don’t mind my fumbling fingers.
Pumpkin puree adds moisture to the dough here and also acts as a whole food egg replacer, keeping these twists egg-free and vegan. If you can get your hands on some good coarse sea salt, use that for sprinkling on top of the twists for greater visual contrast (although any type of sea salt will work).
Now what to serve with these savory herbed twists? Here are few recipes that make my mouth water:
- Moroccan Lentil Vegetable Stew (vegan) from Daily Bites
- Easy Pumpkin Soup (vegan) from Simply…Gluten-Free
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chili from Lexie’s Kitchen
- Vegetable Quinoa Soup (vegan) from Two Peas & Their Pod
- New Mexican Stew from Gluten-Free Goddess
Savory Pumpkin Almond Twists
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian herb blend or poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon Grade B maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, poultry seasoning, baking soda, and garlic powder.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the pumpkin, maple syrup, and flaxseed.
4. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and stir or knead to form a cohesive dough. This will take a few minutes, but keep stirring or kneading and the dough will come together.
5. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
6. Divide each portion in half to yield 16 pieces of dough.
7. Roll each piece into a rope that is 5- to 6-inches long.
8. Lay 2 ropes side by side. Pinch the ends together and gently twist, pinching any cracks or breaks in the dough back together.
9. Place the twist on the lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough.
10. Sprinkle the twists with sea salt.
11. Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned and just firm to the touch.
12. Cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container.
Hallie Klecker is the author of Super Healthy Cookies and The Pure Kitchen, both gluten- and dairy-free cookbooks focusing on fresh ingredients and whole foods. She writes the recipe blog Daily Bites, where she shares her passion for cooking with whole, natural foods. Hallie is a certified Nutrition Educator and former personal chef. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest!