Power Up Your Potluck Offerings and Blueberry Quinoa Salad
Summer brings the opportunity to gather with friends and enjoy good food along with the good weather.
Planning what to bring takes on extra importance when you or your family follow a special diet. You probably won’t know what, if anything, you can eat until you get to the party. That’s why I always try to make my offering as nutritious and filling as it is delicious.
Salads are an especially flexible canvas to create a dish that will entice other guests, while ensuring you are fueled up for fun. Consider adding grains like quinoa, brown rice, or amaranth either as the base for the salad or as a topping. Using nuts and seeds can also bulk up a salad while providing an extra dash of protein. Pasta salads and potato salads are also hearty options.
This Blueberry Quinoa Salad combines the sweetness of farmers’ market blueberries and corn with the chewy texture of quinoa for a salad that’s as nourishing as it is beautiful.
Other Potluck Salad Recipes:
Blueberry Quinoa Salad
Makes 2 good-sized servings
Ingredients: (Measurements are approximate.)
- Mixed lettuces
- 3-4 basil leaves, chiffonade (roll the leaves together and thinly slice)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 -1/2 cup blueberries
- Corn cut from one cob
- 3 tablespoons toasted pepitas (heat them for a minute or two in a dry skillet over medium heat)
- 1 tablespoon all-fruit blueberry spread
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, basil, quinoa, blueberries, corn, and pepitas.
- In a small bowl, whisk together blueberry spread and vinegar to create the dressing.
- Toss the salad with dressing just before serving.
Kim Lutz is a vegan mom to two boys, and lives with her rocker husband, dog and cat. She is the author of Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes and the gluten-free, allergen-free, vegan website, welcomingkitchen.com. Kim is the co-author with Megan Hart, MS, RD, LD, of two other cookbooks.
Read all of Kim’s posts here.