Juices and Smoothies on a Busy Schedule
It’s no secret that I love green juices and smoothies. I enjoy one of the two almost every day. They’re a great way to get in servings of veggies and fruit and a ton of vitamins and minerals, and I love the happy boost of natural energy I get from drinking them.
But anyone who owns a juicer or blender knows that the process of making smoothies or juices takes some time – time that is oh-so-precious in those few minutes we have to get ready in the mornings before we dash out the door to errands, our job, or school. For many, being able to grab anything healthy to take for breakfast or lunch alone is a feat, much less go through the process of washing and preparing produce for a juice or smoothie.
How do you make this process easier? By advance preparation, of course!
On a day of the week when you have more time (for me, this is Sunday afternoon), wash and cut fresh fruits and vegetables for smoothies or juices, and portion them out. I used ziploc bags, but you can use whatever containers you desire. Make enough portions to last for the week. Feel free to alternate ingredients in each portion to change it up throughout the week. (Tip: if cutting apples or pears, put a little lemon juice on them to keep them from browning.) Place your portions in the refrigerator (or if to be used in smoothies, try the freezer, depending on ingredients – I like to freeze bananas for smoothies.), and you’re ready to go.
Prepped bags for a weeks worth of juicing!
This way, every morning, you can simply whip out your prepared produce and make your juice or smoothie – no washing, cutting, or peeling required. (Or the difficult part in my case – thinking about what to make! My brain doesn’t work so well at 5:00 AM.) This little bit of advance planning makes the smoothie or juice-making process SO much easier.
Now, some tempting juice and smoothie recipes to get you well on your way to nutrition-packed goodness! Most of these can be prepped in advance entirely, or at least partway.
- Peach Ginger Mint Green Smoothie from Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Diet, Dessert and Dogs
- Chocolate Banana Avocado “Milkshake” from Tasty Eats At Home
- Blueberry Chocolate Protein Smoothie from Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Green Flu-Fighter Juice from Daily Bites
- Apple and Spinach Colon Cleansing Juice from The Balanced Platter
- Berry Banana Breakfast Smoothie from Go Dairy Free
- Blueberry Spinach Mint Smoothie from Tasty Eats At Home
- Mango Salsa Smoothie from Healthy Blender Recipes
- Groovy Green Smoothie from Diet, Dessert and Dogs
- Lemon Parsley Warrior Juice from The Balanced Platter
Alta is the founder of the gluten-free, dairy-free blog, Tasty Eats At Home. Even without gluten and dairy, Alta can show you that meals can be simple and healthy, and treats such as cake, bread, and cookies can be mouth-watering! Her goal is to share with you delicious, gluten-free, dairy-free food that can bring your heart joy and nourish your body, one recipe at a time.
Read all of Alta’s posts here.