Comforting Hawaiian Rice Pudding
What’s a good way to turn that frown upside down?
How about filling your kitchen with delicious aroma and then spooning some warm sweetness into your mouth?
One of my favorite comfort foods is rice pudding. It is a flexible base for gluten-free or allergy-friendly treats. You can change up the flavors to suit the season and your desire. You can go sugary sweet for a decadent dessert or strictly fruit sweetened for a dish healthy enough for a special breakfast.
Want to give rice pudding a try? Here are some of our family’s favorites …
- Date-Sweetened Vanilla Rice Pudding and Strawberry Parfaits
- Chocolate Rice Pudding
- Holiday Nog Rice Pudding
- Apple and Autumn Spice Rice Pudding
- Our favorite is the Coconut Rice Pudding from Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes.
Or give this taste of the tropics a whirl.
Other Rice Recipes:
Hawaiian Rice Pudding
- 1 (15-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 15 ounces orange juice (empty coconut milk can filled with o.j.)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pineapple tidbits (small pieces)
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup arborio rice, rinsed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In an oven safe saucepan, bring coconut milk, orange juice, pineapple and salt to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and stir in rice.
- Cover and bake for one hour.
- Stir before serving.
Kim Lutz is a vegan mom to two boys, and lives with her rocker husband, dog and cat. She is the author of Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes and the gluten-free, allergen-free, vegan website, welcomingkitchen.com. Kim is the co-author with Megan Hart, MS, RD, LD, of two other cookbooks.
Read all of Kim’s posts here.