When you dream of Thanksgiving, what food pops into your head? For me, it’s pumpkin pie. Always.
And it’s because of my mom. She makes the best pumpkin pie on the planet.
Ever since I was a little girl, every Fall when the sugar pumpkins hit the markets, it meant pumpkin pie. And every last bite was like a piece of heaven. It’s always been my favorite time of year.
But what if you’re not a pumpkin pie fan? What if you don’t feel like making a allergy-friendly pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving? I’m a pumpkin lover no matter what, so here are a few new ways to enjoy this wonderful ingredient, but skipping the pie.
Thanksgiving is one week away! It’s that time of year when we turn to our old family favorites and look for new recipes that inspire us to try something different in the kitchen. If you’re looking to add some healthier dishes to your Thanksgiving meal, take a look at this collection of recipes!
- Butternut Squash and Apple Salad
- Green Beans with Smoky Pecans from Tasty Eats at Home
- Herbed Split Pea Soup from Gluten-Free Cat
- Orange Cinnamon Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Pecans
- Potato Boats with “Sour Cream” and Herbs from Ricki Heller
- Quinoa Stuffing from Queen of Quinoa
- Roasted Green Bean Salad with Citrus-Balsalmic Reduction from Ricki Heller
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Garlic and Thyme
- Rutabega Gratin from Ricki Heller
- Wild Rice Sweet Potato Salad with Pepitas
Gravy, Salad Dressings, & Sauces
- Cranberry Sauce with Apples and Pears
- Make-Ahead, Gluten-Free Turkey Gravy
- Creamy Caesar Dressing (dairy-free)
- Sweet Dijon Salad Dressing
Desserts, Pies & Pie Crusts
- Black Bottom Almond Mousse Pie with Chocolate Ganache Drizzle
- Chocolate Orange Cheesecake
- Cranberries & Cream Tart with Chocolate Crust from Daily Bites Blog
- Crispy Apple Crisp from Welcoming Kitchen
- Gluten-Free Pie Crust from Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free
- Flaky Pie Crust from Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free
- Maple Pecan Tart from Daily Bites Blog
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Gluten-Free Cat
We are so excited to be celebrating our first year at The Balanced Platter. It’s been an amazing year and we’re so grateful for all of your love and support.
We couldn’t have made it this far without our amazing contributors. They’ve shared so many fabulous recipes and ideas with us.
Amy and I thought it would be fun to celebrate by sharing some of our most popular recipes AND giving away some of our favorite gluten-free resources!
A perfect summer meal to me is a giant salad with garden-fresh produce and homemade dressing. But in the cooler months, nothing could be further from the truth! While I’ll happily eat salad year round, a bowl of soup or stew is the epitome of comfort on chilly days. What’s even better than soup? The stuff you dunk in it, of course.
My love for dippers sent me to the kitchen a few weeks ago to create these Savory Pumpkin Almond Twists, a delightful twist on bread sticks that pair perfectly with a warm pot of broth and veggies.
We all have our “desert island” foods—the foods we can’t live without—and one of mine happens to be almonds. That’s why I love working with almond flour every chance I get. Not only is it a low-glycemic and grain-free choice, but it also lends delicious buttery flavor to baked goods that would otherwise be lacking.
These twists look super fancy, but they’re actually very easy to form. The dough is forgiving. You can easily pinch cracks or breaks back together as you form the twists. I am not by any means a perfect baker, which is why I like working with doughs that don’t mind my fumbling fingers.
Keep reading to get Hallie’s recipe for Pumpkin Almond Twists