Build Your Own Grain- & Nut-Free Crepe Bar for Easter
Easter morning with little ones is magical; they burst out of bed, bubbling with excitement for the morning’s Easter egg hunt. In my house, we hide a mixture of plastic eggs, filled with little trinkets such as stickers, play dough, jewelry etc. I also make homemade chocolates.
Once the Easter egg hunt begins, so does the begging to eat chocolate for breakfast! How do parents entice their children to the breakfast table for something healthy and substantial? The answer is simple; make it fun! Kids love *Make Your Own* meals. They get to make choices for themselves and be creative.
My daughter quickly turned her crepe into a smiley face!
A “Build Your Own Crepe Bar” is the perfect healthy option to bring your kids to the breakfast table. Prep it the night before so you can sit back and enjoy the special time with your kiddos.
The crepes are filled with fruit and nut or seed butter. You can make your own Seed Butter several days ahead of time. We used my Vanilla & Allspice Seed Butter but if you are able to eat nuts this Homemade Walnut-Cacao Butter would be perfect!
Then, the night before you can prep and wash your kids favorite fruit. We chose strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and bananas. The crepes can also be cooked the night before and stored in the fridge.
The options are endless. You could also top them with some sweetened coconut cream, or how amazing would this Strawberry Chia Fluff be on top? The most important thing is to make it fun enough to distract them from those sweet Easter treats, so they get some real nourishing food into their bellies.
Other Crepe Fillings and Toppings:
Grain- & Nut-Free Crepes
Makes approximately 6 – 8 (8-inch) crepes
- 6 egg whites
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup finely ground raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 3/4 cup dairy-free milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, liquified
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk on high for 30 seconds.
- Add the coconut sugar and whisk for another 30 seconds.
- Add the ground sunflower seeds and arrowroot flour. Whisk for another 30 seconds.
- Add the milk, coconut oil, and vanilla. Whisk for another minute.
- Heat and grease a crepe pan or a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet with coconut oil. Add a 2-3 tablespoons of the batter, enough to thinly coat the pan. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, carefully flip and do the same to the other side.
- Fill with desired options, roll, and serve warm. Alternatively, cool and store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Danielle Rouse is the creative energy behind the allergy friendly recipe blog, Fresh4Five | Real Food, Fresh Ideas. This mother of three has a passion for nutrition and cooking with fresh and wholesome ingredients. Danielle has become and expert at developing recipes to meet the complex dietary needs of her family. She is currently studying to become a Registered Holistic Nutritionist at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition. Fresh4Five hosts an array of family friendly recipes that are free of Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Nuts and Paleo Friendly.
Read all of Danielle’s posts here.