Avocado, Lemon & Pistachio Pudding Cups
With less than ten ingredients, you can make this amazingly light and delicious, nutritious, and beautiful pudding! Creamy and sweet pudding without dairy or refined sugar? Yep. Avocados and raw honey to the rescue.
I am a huge fan of avocados. One day I dream of having an avocado tree in my backyard that I can pick from daily. I buy at least 4 or 5 avocados a week (more when they’re on sale) to use in everything from guacamole to salads to smoothies to refreshing pudding cups like these.
In the middle of January, when we’re all beginning to fatigue from the hearty comfort foods of the season, this Avocado, Lemon, & Pistachio Pudding truly hits the spot. And if, in a rare case, you’re not in the mood for a full bowl of pudding, try using this as a dollop for fruit bowls. Its light citrus flavor pairs perfectly with mangoes, bananas, apples, pears, and more.
Play with this pudding to make it your own.
- Swap orange or lime juice and zest for the lemon.
- Use almond or pistachio extract instead of the vanilla.
- Top the pudding with another nut or seed instead of the pistachios. I love it with raw cacao nibs sprinkled on top!
You can use any non-dairy milk (or regular milk, if you can tolerate dairy) in the pudding. My favorite, for the most richness, is canned full fat coconut milk or homemade almond milk. Experiment to find your favorite.
Despite many of our New Year’s resolutions to eat healthier and make smarter food choices, I believe anyone can still indulge in the occasional sweet treat…especially when it’s as nutritious as this pudding.
Eating a little something sweet when you’re craving it, whether it’s a small bowl of pudding or a square of dark chocolate, is actually a smart move. Would you rather kick your craving right away with a little something indulgent, or try to exercise willpower only to fail after a few days of misery and succumb to a giant piece of cake or the whole container of ice cream?
I’ll take the small indulgence.
Avocado, Lemon, & Pistachio Pudding Cups
- 2 large ripe avocados, pitted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2-3 tablespoons honey, to your taste (preferably raw and local)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- Raw shelled pistachios, chopped (for serving)
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender or a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Add the remaining ingredients and puree until very smooth.
- Spoon the pudding between 3 or 4 small ramekins or bowls.
- Top with pistachios and serve.
Hallie Klecker is the author of Super Healthy Cookies and The Pure Kitchen, both gluten- and dairy-free cookbooks focusing on fresh ingredients and whole foods. She is also the Editorial Content Manager for Simply Gluten Free Magazine. Hallie writes the recipe blog Daily Bites, where she shares her passion for cooking with whole, natural foods. Hallie is a certified Nutrition Educator and former personal chef. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest!