Apple Pie Muffins for Autumn
School has started. That means fall is here.
In my family, fall means apples. We start looking forward to apple picking in the middle of winter. It is the one thing that will make my kids think that autumn might just be ok. (Even if it means leaving the pool for a classroom!)
Every year, we pack up our family, including cousins and grandparents, and head out to a you-pick orchard. You can find one near you by visiting youpick.org. We get so into the fun of trying and picking different varieties of apples that we end up with almost too many.
Almost too many. There are so many things you can do with apples, that they never go to waste. If nothing else, we cook up huge vats of applesauce to freeze and enjoy all through the year.
Another apple favorite are the Apple Pie Muffins from my book, Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes.
Other Apple Recipes:
Apple Pie Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples
- Preheat oven to 350. Oil a standard muffin pan or line with muffin papers.
- In a medium bowl, combine oat flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir with a whisk.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Add flaxseed meal, oil, sugar and non-dairy milk.
- Mix dry ingredients into applesauce, one half at a time. Add apples. Stir to combine.
- Divide batter into muffin pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Kim Lutz is a vegan mom to two boys, and lives with her rocker husband, dog and cat. She is the author of Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes and the gluten-free, allergen-free, vegan website, welcomingkitchen.com. Kim is the co-author with Megan Hart, MS, RD, LD, of two other cookbooks.
Read all of Kim’s posts here.