There’s something eternally comforting about a plate of pasta. Just looking at it sitting in front of you, don’t you immediately feel all warm and fuzzy inside? I know I do, which is precisely why I wish that pasta was the healthiest food on earth so that I could eat it every single day with no regret. Unfortunately, it’s loaded with carbs and it’s not an eat-it-everyday food.
The good news? Some brands of gluten-free pasta are actually better for you than the traditional varieties. Take quinoa pasta for example. Made exclusively with quinoa flour, it’s got more protein and more nutrients. Makes you feel a little better, right?
Not to fear, I’ve got a few more tricks up my sleeve to make the ultimate pasta dish healthy.
This particular dish is packed with nutrients. Of course, there’s still carbs, but you can feel a lot less guilty eating a few times a week
To transform our pasta into a healthy dinner, we opted to skip out on the regular old tomato sauce route. Instead, we’ve tossed this pasta with a creamy almond butter-curry sauce. Then we added steamed broccoli and kale to add some greenery to the plate.
Almond butter is loaded with healthy fats. Curry powder can help with detoxification. Broccoli is high in vitamin A and K (which can help offset a vitamin D deficiency) and also has detoxifying properties. And then there’s kale. Superfood kale. Kale is high in fiber, iron, vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. Oh yeah, and kale is also a great detox food.
So, add all these fabulous ingredients on top of a pasta? I think we have a winning dish on our hands here!
Other Pasta Recipes:
- “Hide the Veggies” Tomato Pasta/Pizza Sauce
- Rice Noodles with Herb Roasted Tomatoes and Spinach
- ZuSketti (Zucchini Pasta) with Bacon & Roasted Tomatoes
- 6 – 12 oz gluten-free spaghetti (or any variety of pasta you would like)
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (less if you’re sensitive to spice)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, steam the broccoli and kale until tender.
- Also prepare the sauce by whisking together the almond butter, coconut aminos, water, and spices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the vegetables and toss together. Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Alyssa is the quinoa-obsessed girl behind the gluten-free website, Queen of Quinoa. She loves experimenting with nutritious and whole-food ingredients, and hopes to show the everyday home chef that cooking and eating gluten-free can not only be healthy, but also delicious and fun. Alyssa is also the author behind the popular ebook, Baking with Quinoa, which features scrumptious gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free treats.
Read all of Alyssa’s posts here.