These easy-to-make treats serve double duty as either a snack or a breakfast option when paired up with a smoothie or some scrambled eggs. If you’re traveling over the river and through the woods this holiday season, tuck a few of these Apple Muesli Balls in your bag for a quick snack that will kick your sweet tooth to the curb and fill you up at the same time.
When I bake, I try to pack in extra protein, fat, and fiber to make my baked goods more nutritious and satisfying. I drew inspiration for these treats from the classic concept of muesli, which is really just nothing more than oats, nuts and seeds, and dried fruit served with milk or yogurt. To add a little texture and extra sweetness, I added grated apple to the muesli balls. You could also try grated carrots (or zucchini when it’s in season).
Lord knows the last thing we need this time of year is another baked good recipe, but I think you’ll find that these treats are healthier than most. If you have company coming into town around the holidays, tuck a few muesli balls in the freezer and you’ll have a quick grab-and-go snack at the ready at all times.
When you dream of Thanksgiving, what food pops into your head? For me, it’s pumpkin pie. Always.
And it’s because of my mom. She makes the best pumpkin pie on the planet.
Ever since I was a little girl, every Fall when the sugar pumpkins hit the markets, it meant pumpkin pie. And every last bite was like a piece of heaven. It’s always been my favorite time of year.
But what if you’re not a pumpkin pie fan? What if you don’t feel like making a allergy-friendly pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving? I’m a pumpkin lover no matter what, so here are a few new ways to enjoy this wonderful ingredient, but skipping the pie.
Thanksgiving is one week away! It’s that time of year when we turn to our old family favorites and look for new recipes that inspire us to try something different in the kitchen. If you’re looking to add some healthier dishes to your Thanksgiving meal, take a look at this collection of recipes!
- Butternut Squash and Apple Salad
- Green Beans with Smoky Pecans from Tasty Eats at Home
- Herbed Split Pea Soup from Gluten-Free Cat
- Orange Cinnamon Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Pecans
- Potato Boats with “Sour Cream” and Herbs from Ricki Heller
- Quinoa Stuffing from Queen of Quinoa
- Roasted Green Bean Salad with Citrus-Balsalmic Reduction from Ricki Heller
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Garlic and Thyme
- Rutabega Gratin from Ricki Heller
- Wild Rice Sweet Potato Salad with Pepitas
Gravy, Salad Dressings, & Sauces
- Cranberry Sauce with Apples and Pears
- Make-Ahead, Gluten-Free Turkey Gravy
- Creamy Caesar Dressing (dairy-free)
- Sweet Dijon Salad Dressing
Desserts, Pies & Pie Crusts
- Black Bottom Almond Mousse Pie with Chocolate Ganache Drizzle
- Chocolate Orange Cheesecake
- Cranberries & Cream Tart with Chocolate Crust from Daily Bites Blog
- Crispy Apple Crisp from Welcoming Kitchen
- Gluten-Free Pie Crust from Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free
- Flaky Pie Crust from Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free
- Maple Pecan Tart from Daily Bites Blog
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Gluten-Free Cat